Saturday, November 2, 2013

Thick Striped Baby Blanket

This blanket was a gift for my cousin's son, Seamus, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.


To make a blanket like this, the Chunky Crochet Baby Blanket Tutorial provides easy-to-follow instructions. As I've mentioned before, my favorite thing about this pattern is how creative you can be.  You can use three colors like I did with the Thick & Quick Baby Blanket or use two colors like I did with the Pittsburgh Steelers Kid's Scarves.


For this project, I decided to try a two color variation but with stripes.  The colors were inspired by my cousin's father who passed away last spring-- one of Uncle Dennis's favorite things was John Deere tractors.

For yarn, I used:
- Red Heart with Love, Pewter (1-1/2 skeins, 370 yards each)
- Red Heart Super Saver, Glowworm (1 skein, 364 yards)
- Red Heart Super Saver, Bright Yellow (1 skein, 364 yards)


To achieve the striped pattern, I used a size M crochet hook and crocheted six rows of single crochet stitches with gray and green yarn. When I got to the end of the sixth row, I snipped the green yarn.  Then, I tied the green and yellow yarns together and continued with six rows of gray and yellow.  I continued switching back and forth between green/gray and yellow/gray.

The blanket measures approximately 29 inches by 35 inches, and would be great for tummy-time or even as a crib blanket.


I hope this gives you some new ideas and inspiration for using this pattern.  See-- the possibilities are endless!  Happy stitching!

Jilliane


Update:  Seamus Theodore was born on December 9 and he's adorable!



Are you on Pinterest?  Follow my latest handiwork or crochet inspiration board!  

No comments:

Post a Comment