Sunday, December 22, 2013

Vintage Fan Ripple Stitch Baby Blanket

This blanket is a gift for a cousin and his wife who are expecting their second child in March-- how exciting!


For this blanket, I was inspired by a beautiful, multi-colored blanket that I saw on Chiaki Creates. Thankfully, the blogger included a link to the original pattern from Ravelry called the Vintage Fan Ripple Stitch pattern.

I used a size H crochet hook.  For yarn, I used one skein each of Red Heart Super Saver in Soft White and Turqua-- 364 yards per skein.


This pattern begins with a chain in multiples of 9, plus 1 extra chain.  For every 9 chains, you will get 1 fan. I started with a chain of 127 to make this blanket 14 fans wide.

The stitch is very unique yet easy to follow.  I'll warn you, though, it's not one of those "mindless" stitches-- you'll be counting and paying attention the whole time.  Something else interesting about this pattern:  because the stitches are made through the back loops only, it creates a slightly different look on each side of the blanket.

Front


Back

The pattern involves creating 3 ripple rows followed by 1 fan row (what I will call a "set"), and then repeating these steps.  To create the striped look, I switched colors after each set.  To finish, I continued with blue yarn to stitch the final 3 rows/edging.

Altogether, the blanket measures about 36 inches wide and 30 inches long.  It feels very soft and thick-- perfect for snuggling!


I hope this gives you some ideas for your next project.  Happy hooking!

Jilliane


Are you on Pinterest?  Follow my latest handiwork or crochet inspiration board!  

No comments:

Post a Comment