Sunday, February 15, 2015

Striped Granny Square Baby Blanket with Picot Edging

I am so very excited to give this blanket as a gift to my best friend, Erin who's due to welcome another daughter on May 9.  The blanket and headband set I made for Erin's oldest daughter, Emma Kate went over so well that it's a tradition now, I suppose.


I was inspired by the stripe pattern of this granny square blanket on Daisy Cottage Design.  My color scheme started with 3 rows of cream followed by 2 rows each alternating in cream and purple together, cream alone, cream and pink together, and cream alone.


To finish, I crocheted two rows of cream followed by a row of this simple picot edging by Bunny Mummy.


For materials, I used a size "I" crochet hook, Caron One Pound yarn in Off White, and a skein each of pink and purple yarn found at a local craft store.  I'm not sure how the packaging translates, so here's a picture instead:


I am enamored by the subtle sweetness of this blanket's colors and the whimsical touch of the edging. To be honest, I am quite excited to see Erin's little bundle wrapped up in this blanket with her matching hat!


The blanket measures 29 inches by 29 inches.  Hope this provides some inspiration for you next crochet project...

Happy hooking,
Jilliane


Update:  Brynn Ann was born on April 20th!
Here she is sporting her hat and blanket in photos by Kelly Long Photography.


Are you on Pinterest?  Follow my latest handiwork or crochet inspiration board!  

2 comments:

  1. Love the color combination! The cream looks like a soft green on my tablet and caught my attention as I would like to make a baby blanket for my niece who likes green and purple. Like the border so much that I will apply it to my current project using Bernat Pipsqueak in Baby Baby Print.It too is a large granny square of double crochets. Will also take a look at the other sites you've mentioned Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you'll be trying the border on your project-- hope it turns out beautifully!

      Delete