Sunday, October 27, 2013

Cascading Pink Ripple Stitch Baby Blanket

I was so excited to work on this project-- it was a baby shower gift for Emma Kate, the first child of my best friend, Erin and her husband, Brad!

My initial inspiration came from the chevron pattern I found on Happily Ever After's blog, and the color scheme was an imitation of Ravelry's Cascading Ripple pattern. Most importantly, I learned how to crochet the ripple/wave stitch from Crochet Crowd's video tutorial.


For this blanket, I used a size G crochet hook and the following yarn:
- Caron Simply Soft, Watermelon (315 yards)
- Caron Simply Soft, Soft Pink (315 yards)
- Caron Simply Soft, Off White (315 yards)

To achieve the cascading color effect, my pattern was 2 rows of hot pink, 3 rows of light pink, and 3 rows of cream.  Finally, I ended with two rows of hot pink to achieve a "framed" look.


Once I finished the ripple rows, I decided to edge the blanket with a hot pink border.  I wasn't quite sure how to go about it on a ripple stitch, but found some direction with Sedruola Maruska's instructional video. After a little experimenting, the pattern for my edging involved crocheting two half doubles into the opening at the end of each ripple row, which I did on both long sides of the blanket.


After that, I finished the edging by crocheting a single crochet stitch around the entire blanket.  Side note:  I started and ended in the "nook" of one of the ripples, because it seemed like a better hiding place for the knot.


After all was said and done, I still ended up with a small ball of leftover yarn in each color, and the blanket measured 24 inches wide by 32 inches long.


I hope this gives you some inspiration... Happy stitching!

Jilliane


Update:  Check out Emma Kate's adorable newborn photos by Kelly Long Photography.  The blanket and Flower Headband go so well together!



Are you on Pinterest?  Follow my latest handiwork or crochet inspiration board!  

No comments:

Post a Comment