Monday, November 18, 2013

Flower Headband for Newborn

This adorable headband is for my best friend's first child, Emma Kate, who is due any day now!  I'm so proud to say that the headband will be worn in her newborn pictures, along with the Cascading Pink Ripple Stitch Blanket that I made for her earlier this year.


Step 1:  Making the flowers
First, I made each of the flowers, following Alli Crafts' Baby Headband pattern and using a size G crochet hook.

Step 2:  Making the headband & attaching the flowers
Next, I started the actual headband which is just a chain stitch (still using the size G crochet hook).  Once the chain was 6 inches long, I attached the first flower by inserting the crochet hook onto a loop on the back of the flower and making a slip stitch.  Then, I made 2-3 chain stitches to reach the other side end of the flower. Next, I grabbed another loop on the back of the flower and made a second slip stitch. After that, I made 4-5 chains to create space between the flowers and repeated the process for the next two flowers.  After the third flower, I continued to add onto the chain for another 6 inches.

Side note:  I read that a typical newborn headband is 10-12 inches. I made mine about 16 inches long so that it can be tied in a bow to fit just right.

Step 3: Sewing on the beads (optional)
Finally, I used a sewing needle and thread to sew 5 translucent pink beads onto the middle flower.



This was a very quick project and there's a lot of room for creativity.

Hope you're feeling inspired... Happy stitching!

Jilliane


Update:  Check out Emma Kate's newborn  photos by Kelly Long Photography.  Her headband goes so well with the Cascading Pink Ripple Blanket.


Update:  Emma's little sister, Brynn Ann was born on April 20.  This adorable little copy-cat wore her sister's headband in her newborn photos, too!



Are you on Pinterest?  Follow my latest handiwork or crochet inspiration board!  

No comments:

Post a Comment