Friday, March 14, 2014

Puffy Spike Stitch Infinity Scarf for Child

This was a short and simple project that put a big smile on my niece's face!


I used a size H crochet hook and scraps of Red Heart Super Saver in Orchid and Heather Grey.  I was inspired by the puffy spike stitch tutorial by Crochet N' Crafts, and only made a few minor adaptations to these instructions.

  1. For my pattern, the puffy spike rows involved 5 single crochet stitches between each puffy spike. To replicate that look, you would start with a foundation in a multiple of 6 (plus 1 more). 
  2. My puffy spikes had 3 "spikes" each, which were all inserted 3 rows below the skipped stitch.  The tutorial says to stagger the spikes at 1, 2, and 3 stitches below; however, I liked my adaptation better for this project.
  3. The tutorial shows the puffy spikes stacked directly above each other.  I decided to shift the puffy spikes so that they were more nested and layered with each change of colors.

My pattern (color & stitches):
Grey:  foundation row, 3 rows single crochet
Purple:  1 row puffy spike, 2 rows single crochet
Grey:  1 row puffy spike, 2 rows single crochet
Purple:  1 row puffy spike, 2 rows single crochet
Grey:  1 row puffy spike

As mentioned in the tutorial, the puffy spike stitches look slightly different from the front and back-- it looks very similar, if you ask me.

Front

Back

I really enjoyed this stitch and expect to use it again for edging on a blanket.  The scarf measures 3-1/2 inches wide by 59 inches long-- perfect to keep a little girl warm in the cold winter weather.

Hope this inspires your next project.  Happy hooking!

Jilliane


Are you on Pinterest?  Follow my latest handiwork or crochet inspiration board!  

No comments:

Post a Comment