Sunday, March 16, 2014

Double-Crochet Beige Cowl

This great cowl is actually for me-- crazy, right?!  I was inspired by a cowl worn by one of my students and decided to make an attempt at imitating it.


For this project, I used a size "I" crochet hook and about two-thirds of a skein of Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Buff.


After studying the student's cowl, here is the super-simple pattern I created:

Foundation:  Chain 61 (or any other odd number)
Row 1:  dc in 5th chain from hook, *ch 1, skip 1, dc 1, repeat from * to end.  Ch 3, turn.
Row 2:  *dc around the ch 1 space, ch 1, repeat from * to end.  Ch 3, turn.

Repeat Row 2 until you reach your desired length.  Secure off the last stitch-- no need to cut the yarn.

Stitching the ends together:
Lay the project flat and then line up the ends.  Stitch together using a whip stitch, which you can learn here: Bunny Mummy's whip stitch tutorial.  I chose the whip stitch because it blends in well with the pattern.


All done!  My cowl measures 37 inches around and 15 inches wide which makes it very fluffy and cozy.


Aside from varying the length, width, yarn texture, and color patterns, I'm sure this would be great with buttons, bows, and even flowers.  Hope you're feeling inspired to crochet your own version of this simple cowl!

Happy hooking,
Jilliane


Are you on Pinterest?  Follow my latest handiwork or crochet inspiration board!  

No comments:

Post a Comment