Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Double-Crochet V-Stitch Cowl

This cowl was a birthday present to my best friend, Erin who turned 29 (again!).  I think it will keep her cozy and cute for the long winter ahead.


I used a size "I" crochet hook with the following yarn:
- Loops and Threads Impeccable, Royal
- Red Heart Super Saver, Grey Heather
- Red Heart Super Saver, Turqua

I followed the V Double Crochet Stitch tutorial from Dream a Little Bigger.  For the color pattern, I simply alternated grey and blue every two rows, plus I crocheted four rows in turquoise for an extra pop of color.


You may be thinking:  I love stripes but I hate switching colors.  Have no fear-- I used a trick I learned on Moogly and practiced with the Leaping Stripes and Blocks Baby Blanket earlier this year. With this trick, a short strip of the unused color  runs along the edge of your work and later, your edging covers it up.


The edging is simply a single crochet stitch.  I stitched two single crochets around the last double-crochet for each row.  As you can see, the edging completely covers the unused colors running along the edge (it's our little secret!).

This cowl measures 27 inches around and 9 inches tall.  When worn, it folds into cozy layers that are sure to keep Erin warm through the winter months.

The Birthday Girl :)

Feeling inspired to start your next project?  Sure hope so!

Happy hooking,
Jilliane


Are you on Pinterest? Follow my latest handiwork or crochet inspiration board!  

No comments:

Post a Comment